Tuesday 16 September 2014

John 17:11-12: Possession of YHWH's name.

On Monday 15th of September 2014, I had the pleasure of partly seeing a discussion that took places between Sam Shamoun and AngelQueenFox, a Jehovah's Witness on Paltalk.

One of the texts that was brought up in the room was the text of John 17:11-12 which says the following:

11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

The whole premise behind Shamoun's point was Jesus was given the name of Jehovah or YHWH and must be Jehovah for Jehovah doesn't share that eternal name with any creature (Amendments can be made to this if I have misheard what Sam said)

Angel kept trying to make the point that all the prophets had the name of Jehovah given to them trying to say that it doesn't prove his point. However there is a problem.

Angel is comparing apples and oranges, because no prophet was given the name of Jehovah and pointing out that a prophet has God's name in their name (Elijah or Eliyahu or YHWH is my God or Isaiah aka Yeshayahu or YHWH saves) is not the same as one being given the name of God, for no man can call himself Jehovah.

If Jesus was claiming Jehovah's name as his and that the Father gave him that name, that would bolster Jesus' claims to deity rather than refute them.

If I have misheard what Sam Shamoun has argued, he can correct me if he is reading this paper.

Answering Judaism.

No comments:

Post a Comment